Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 4

Trying to keep this going is the goal so even if the post is just a short one, I'll still be doing well. Couldn't update yesterday because I had to work and the hubs was home all day. He's gone off to get breakfast so I have a few minutes....

This weekend there was a campaign of sorts to get people to change their profile picture in support of ending child abuse. Lots of people changed it and passed the request along but just as many people got pissy about it and instead of just letting it roll off, decided to mouth off instead. Blasting people and asking what changing your profile picture was going to possibly accomplish in the way of getting people to quit beating their kids. My reply to that is, first off, go fuck yourself and secondly, I DON'T think that changing my profile picture is going to end child abuse.

What me changing my picture DOES accomplish is me letting people know that I'm not going to sit by and silently watch another child beaten, abused, put down or killed because I'm too afraid to say anything or because I think it's none of my business and someone else will take care of it. Me changing my picture for a couple of days is my big billboard of a sign that says I WILL get in the middle of your fucked up domestic situation regardless of whether or not you or anybody else thinks it's my business.

After all, me saying I won't sit here and listen to my neighbor put their kid in an early grave is doing a hell of alot more toward ending child abuse than sending $5 off to some asshole in the middle of nowhere who prints pamphlets and thinks that's an active way to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment